Powered by Blogger.

ORC - Long and Narrow Family Room Layout and Design Elements

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yet another long name for my post.  First things first - form follows function, particularly when you're working in a challenging space like my super long and super narrow family room.  


My plan?  Divide and conquer the space.  Because it's such a long room I felt it best to divide into two distinct areas.  One area is for tv viewing - and let's be honest, this is the area that sees the most action.  The second area is my little "library", and I use the term loosely because it basically consists of a table with my favorite books on it flanked by a few chairs.




As you can see, I've had my beloved Lemon Tree fabric made up into a tablecloth for my library table.  More on that later.

So,  my new sofa is what divides the space into the two separate zones.  My sofa is so new I haven't even taken delivery of it yet.  Here's a photo from the web. 
 Is it my dream sofa? It's not the sofa of my biggest, grandest dreams,  but it met size, color and price requirements (50% off because it was a custom order the vendor got wrong)  - and I liked it well enough to pull the trigger.

True to how I usually pull a room together in my own home, there will be lots of repurposed pieces that I've owned for a while and new "finds" that fit my aesthetic - which is mostly classic, but in a modern way.

Another challenge I face is this:

A very long, very white wall - with a hole in it where the 1972 cutting edge intercom system control center was.   Since this wall is, in effect, a corridor that connects the kitchen to the foyer and hallway, I'm thinking it's an excellent opportunity for ceiling to floor art.  Like this

And, finally, here's a little snapshot of how I'm hoping things will come together over the next 5 weeks.


Furniture makeovers and diys start next week.  I feel bad for my crock pot.

Let's go see what the other ladies are up to.


The Green Room Interiors provides Interior Decorating and Design Services to happy homeowners in Chattanooga, TN.  Call Kim today and find out how a well designed home can improve the quality of your life!  423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com















No comments:

Post a Comment