Powered by Blogger.

ORC Ming Coffee Table Makeover and a New Rug

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

If you're visiting my blog for the first time today, welcome!  You picked a good day because I have an update on the family room I'm redecorating for the One Room Challenge.

Today I'm thrilled to share with you my Ming coffee table makeover.  I bought this coffee table  a few weeks ago during a little shopping sojourn in Atlanta with my Mom, who passed along her decorating/shopping/deal-finding gene to me.  It's been useful.  

Here's where it all started.  Poor little Ming was under a pile of craptastic junque - and that makes discovering her even more rewarding. Do you find this to be true?  Apparently Ming had a difficult few years and she was wearing the battle scars to prove it.  

The damage was pretty deep and I had to break out the electric sander to prepare the surface for paint.  There are few things in life I hate more than sanding but I knew it would be worth the extra effort.

Then I primed, but you don't need to see pictures of that. 


I lightly brushed on this "Ivy Green" color acrylic paint.  Have you painted anything with this? I love this stuff because it lays down really well and doesn't show many brush marks, although by this photo you would not think so.

I decided to get creative and mixed up some acrylic paint from the craft section of Wal-Mart.  I squirted a little of both colors in an empty mac & cheese tub and mixed with a spoon until I got a color I was happy with.  We're not very formal around here. 




I very lightly dry-brushed the teal on over the green, let it dry, then dry-brushed on a little more green.  After this dried, I dry-brushed on some black - to give it some depth.



And this is Ming all finished up.  What do you think?  I'm kind of ecstatic about it.  The layering on of color has been great because in the daytime the color is more green and at night it's more teal.  How fun!


And yes, that is a new rug!  Super thrilled with it, too.  It's a high falutin' HomeGoods score. The rug is a printed maze and is heavy enough that it doesn't "creep" on the carpet.  And look, it has a fancy designer label on it.



Next Wednesday it's lights and curtains and whatever else I manage to get done between now and then. You'll come back to see, right?

Now check these out:


The Green Room Interiors provides Interior Decorating and Design Services to happy homeowners in Chattanooga, TN.. If you would like to experience the joy of living in a well-designed home, call Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com

Like us on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment